Thursday 8 January 2009

The Walkers Stadium, Leicester



It's not my fault right, but I was born in Leicester. I went back there for a year when I was about 21 and lived a short walk - 300 yards - from Filbert Street. It was a good location because the (more) famous Welford Road, home to the Leicester Tigers RUFC, was even closer so we were able to take our pick of sporting entertainment in the event that EFC were not playing that weekend, or more likely I was short of cash.

Anyway, I recently went back for a day, mainly to watch the Tigers play Perpignan, but also to do some Christmas shopping on the cheap at Leicester Market and poke through the door of some old haunts. The new football ground in Leicester is the Walker Stadium. City were playing at home so I couldn't get inside but took some quick snaps in the growing gloom of a winter evening. As with other new stadiums, it looks functional and there is the ubiquitous car dealership, hotel and road to nowhere. And an interesting electricity power station across the street. That's a nice touch.

It's better than Wigan and at least the retail area around it is low key. Critically I would imagine for most Leicester City fans, it is not too far from the original Filbert Street so club officials and local planners will not have alienated tens of thousands of local supporters by moving the ground, oh I don't know, let's say 5 miles outside the city outskirts? I mean, who does that these days?

No comments: